Honda is gearing up to launch its first mass-market electric vehicle for the U.S. market, the 2024 Honda Prologue. The Prologue is a midsize SUV that aims to combine style, space, range, and performance in an attractive package. The Prologue is part of Honda's plan to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 and to have 40% of its U.S. sales come from battery-electric and fuel-cell vehicles by 2030.
What is the Honda Prologue?
The Honda Prologue is an all-electric SUV that will debut in early 2024. The Prologue is the result of a strategic partnership between Honda and General Motors, which allows Honda to use the Ultium battery system and electric vehicle platform. The Prologue will be followed by another electric SUV in 2024, which will be based on Honda's own e:Architecture platform and will be exclusive to the North American market. Honda also plans to introduce more electric vehicles under its luxury brand, Acura, in the near future.
What are the features of the Honda Prologue?
The Honda Prologue will offer a host of features that will appeal to electric vehicle buyers, such as:
- An estimated EPA range of 300 miles on a single charge, which is comparable to other electric SUVs in the market, such as the Ford Mustang Mach-E, the Volkswagen ID.4, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, and the Kia EV9.
- A fast-charging capability that can replenish up to 80% of the battery in about 30 minutes at a 350-kW DC charger, which is faster than most of its competitors.
- A choice of front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive configurations, with the latter featuring a dual-motor setup that can produce up to 288 horsepower. Honda has not revealed the exact performance figures for the Prologue, but it promises that it will deliver a "fun-to-drive" experience that lives up to the brand's reputation.
- A sleek and futuristic exterior design with a low roofline, a long wheelbase, and short overhangs. The front fascia features a distinctive LED light signature that spans across the width of the vehicle, while the rear end has a similar horizontal LED strip that connects the taillights. The Prologue also sports 21-inch aluminum wheels on the top Elite trim level, giving it a more aggressive stance.
- A spacious and comfortable interior, with plenty of room for five passengers and their cargo. The cabin features a minimalist and modern aesthetic, with a streamlined dashboard that houses a 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. The infotainment system supports wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as Amazon Alexa integration. The Prologue also offers wireless smartphone charging, a Wi-Fi hotspot, a panoramic sunroof, and a 12-speaker Bose sound system on higher trim levels.
- A host of advanced driver-assistance systems, such as adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot monitoring, and automatic emergency braking. The Prologue will also come with Honda Sensing 360, which is a suite of cameras and sensors that provide a 360-degree view of the vehicle's surroundings.