Toyota has recently launched the all-new Proace Max, a large-size commercial van that completes its full and electrified Toyota Professional line-up. The Proace Max is a heavy-duty vehicle with best-in-class cargo capacity, zero tailpipe emissions, and up-to-date technology. In this article, we will explore how the Proace Max delivers strength, capacity, and efficiency and how it compares to similar products in the market.
Strength: A Powerful and Reliable Electric Powertrain
The Toyota Proace Max is available as a battery electric vehicle (BEV), which means it runs on electricity stored in a battery pack. The electric powertrain has several advantages over conventional diesel or petrol engines, such as:
- It produces no harmful emissions that contribute to air pollution and climate change.
- It is more efficient and cheaper to run, as electricity costs less than fuel and requires less maintenance.
- It delivers instant torque and smooth acceleration, which improves driving performance and comfort.
The Proace Max Electric has a 90 kWh battery that provides a WLTP range of up to 260 miles, which is among the highest in the large van segment. The battery can be recharged in 1.5 hours using a 50 kW fast charger or in 8 hours using a 7.4 kW wallbox. The Proace Max Electric also has a regenerative braking system that recovers energy when decelerating and extends the driving range.
The Proace Max Electric has a maximum power output of 120 kW (163 hp) and a maximum torque of 310 Nm. It can tow up to 2,500 kg and has a top speed of 81 mph. The Proace Max Electric also has three driving mode to suit different driving conditions and preferences:
- Eco mode reduces power output and optimizes energy consumption for longer range.
- Normal mode balances power and efficiency for everyday driving.
- Power mode boosts power output and responsiveness for more demanding situations.
Capacity: A Spacious and Versatile Cargo Area
The Proace Max is the largest vehicle in the Toyota Professional line-up, offering a wide range of configurations and load-carrying options. The Proace Max is available in six versions, featuring:
- Two wheelbases: 3,450 mm or 4,035 mm.
- Three lengths: 5,413 mm (L2), 5,998 mm (L3), or 6,363 mm (L4).
- Three heights: 2,254 mm (H1), 2,524 mm (H2) or 2,764 mm (H3).
The Proace Max has a best-in-class cargo capacity of up to 17 m³ in the largest version (L4H3), which can accommodate up to five Euro pallets. The Proace Max also has a generous payload of up to 1,400 kg and a load length of up to 4,070 mm.
The Proace Max has a practical and accessible cargo area featuring:
- Full-height rear doors that open up to 270 degrees, maximizing kerbside loading space, and access.
- A low loading threshold of 493 mm makes it easier to load and unload heavy or bulky items.
- A square-shaped opening of 1,562 mm wide and 1,790 mm high allows for optimal use of the cargo space.
- 12 anchorage points on the floor and walls, ensuring the stability and security of the load.
- LED lighting and a 12V socket in the cargo area provide convenience and visibility.
The Proace Max also offers a variety of factory-built conversions, such as:
- Chassis cab and platform cab versions which can be fitted with different body types and equipment.
- Tipper and dropside versions, which are ideal for construction and landscaping businesses.
- Crew cab versions can accommodate up to seven people and have a partitioned cargo area.
Efficiency: A Smart and Connected Technology Package
The Proace Max is equipped with a modern and user-friendly technology package that enhances efficiency, safety, and comfort. The Proace Max features:
- A digital instrument cluster that displays key information such as speed, range, battery level, and driving mode.
- A 10-inch touchscreen that integrates the multimedia system with built-in navigation, wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto connectivity, and connected services that deliver added value to day-to-day operations, such as live traffic information, vehicle health reports, and remote services.
- A wireless smartphone charger and multiple USB ports that keep devices powered and connected.
- A head-up display that projects essential information such as speed, navigation, and safety alerts onto the windscreen, reducing driver distraction.
- A rear-view camera and surround-view monitor provide a 360-degree view of the vehicle and its surroundings, making parking and maneuvering easier and safer.
- A smart entry and start system allows the driver to unlock and start the vehicle without using the key.
The Proace Max also comes with the latest Toyota Safety Sense technology, which assists the driver and provides additional peace of mind. The Proace Max includes:
- Pre-Collision System, which detects potential collisions with vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists and applies the brakes if necessary.
- Lane Departure Alert, which warns the driver if the vehicle is drifting out of its lane and provides steering assistance to correct the course.
- Road Sign Assist, which recognizes traffic signs and displays them on the instrument cluster and head-up display.
- Adaptive Cruise Control, which maintains a safe distance from the vehicle in front and adjusts the speed according to the traffic flow.
- Blind Spot Monitor, which detects vehicles in the blind spots and alerts the driver with a warning light on the side mirrors.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert, which warns the driver of approaching vehicles when reversing out of a parking space.